Portland Paddle is searching for an entry-level employee to help run our shop at the East End Beach during the 2014 paddling season. This job could be a great fit for someone who'd like to spend the summer outdoors and who enjoys paddlesports.
We're looking for a hard-working and committed individual to take on 20-35 hours per week. Scheduling is flexible. You will start out working under the supervision of the general manager, but there is potential for growth in the position and you may eventually be asked to run things on your own, when necessary. Most of your time will be spent interacting with customers, so you should be friendly and able to present the business and its services positively. The job also requires lots of physical labor (moving boats, cleaning gear, etc.), so you should be generally fit and capable of carrying a fairly heavy kayak with assistance.
What the job entails:
- Helping customers rent from our fleet of kayaks & stand-up paddleboards (SUPS).
- Offering basic safety and skills tips to customers.
- Taking reservations, in-person and over the phone, for rentals and tours.
- Carrying and loading kayaks and SUPs (with help).
- Assisting guides on tours and lessons.
- Making important judgment calls regarding safety (for example, turning away customers if thunderstorms seem likely).
- Easy-going, with a good sense of humor.
- Interested in spending lots of time outdoors.
- Available from June through August, and September through October if possible.
- Kayaking skills are not necessary, but you should be enthusiastic about learning kayaking skills and passing those skills on to customers.
- First aid or lifeguard certification is helpful, but not required.
- Starting at $11 per hour.
- Free use of kayaks and SUPs (with advance notice).
1. Take a look at our website so you understand a bit more about us.
2. Send your resume and a brief cover letter that describes any relevant experience and your interest in the job to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 4th, 2014. (Also let us know if there are any specific times during the summer that you are not available to work).
**We are also looking for Registered Maine Guides to lead kayaking trips part-time; email us for more info at email@example.com. You must have a guide license to qualify for this position**