Sea Kayak Tours to Fort Gorges
Paddle a Route Rich with History
Fort Gorges, a Civil-War-era granite fort surrounded by water, is one of the most fascinating spots in Casco Bay, and it's only accessible by small boat. This three-hour trip is the best way to combine the experience of sea kayaking on the Maine coast with exploring one of the region's most exciting historic landmarks. We'll start off with a paddle into Portland harbor and then make the crossing out to Hog Island, where we'll land on a beach and explore the elegant granite halls, dark passageways and towering ramparts of Fort Gorges. Make sure you check out the gorgeous view of the Portland skyline from the rooftop! Your knowledgeable guide will tell anyone who's interested about the Fort's storied history, and you'll have time to explore on your own as well. You are welcome to bring a snack or lunch if you'd like to have a brief picnic at the fort.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Starting off your trip with a brief lesson on the basics of sea kayaking taught by an expert kayak guide
- Roughly two hours of slow to moderate-paced sea kayaking; appropriate for novices
- A visit to historic Fort Gorges, where you'll spend 30-45 minutes exploring the site
- Possible sightings of seals, eider ducks, guillemots, osprey, eagles and all sorts of seabirds
- Possible splashing and dripping during the paddle -- you may get slightly damp or wet.
- Double (two-person) sea kayaks that are stable, swift and perfect for beginners. Or, if you prefer, request a solo kayak.
Prefer to paddle to the fort on your own?
Anyone with appropriate sea kayaking skills can rent a kayak from Portland Paddle and venture to the fort without a guide. View our rental rates and policies here. Keep in mind, however, that paddling to Fort Gorges involves crossing busy boating channels in very open waters exposed to the Atlantic Ocean. All groups heading to the fort with our boats are required to have sea kayak rescue skills. We believe most groups have a better experience paddling to the fort with a skilled guide who also knows a great deal about the fort's history.