Join Us for a Special Sea Kayak Trip to Fort Gorges
On Thursday, July 13 we're offering a special evening guided trip to Fort Gorges with 100% of proceeds donated to a cause dear to our hearts: Fair Rent Portland, a campaign to enact an ordinance in Portland that will protect renters and stem the tide of rising rents. This is a great chance to support a worthy cause while checking out one of the most fascinating landmarks in Portland and taking in views of the sunset over our beloved city from the perspective of a sea kayak.
The trip will begin at 5:45 sharp with a paddle into Portland harbor. Then we'll venture onto open waters for the crossing to Hog Island, where we'll land on a beach and explore the granite halls, dark passageways and towering ramparts of Fort Gorges. Make sure you check out the gorgeous view of the Portland skyline from the rooftop! You're welcome to bring along a picnic to enjoy on the beaches or grassy parade grounds on the island.
The trip will be designed for kayakers of all skill levels and will be led by one of Portland Paddle's licensed Maine guides.
Suggested donation: $25 (Standard cost of this trip is $52)
Advanced reservations are required. Click the button below to reserve your spot with a credit card. Please consider offering a larger donation by clicking on the "add-on" at the bottom of the payment screen.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Starting off your trip with a brief lesson on the basics of sea kayaking taught by an expert kayak guide
- Roughly two hours of slow to moderate-paced sea kayaking; appropriate for novices
- A visit to historic Fort Gorges, where you'll spend 30-45 minutes exploring the site
- Possible sightings of seals, eider ducks, guillemots, osprey, eagles and all sorts of seabirds
- Possible splashing and dripping during the paddle -- you may get slightly damp or wet.
- Double (two-person) sea kayaks that are stable, swift and perfect for beginners. Or, if you prefer, request a solo kayak.