Explore the Maine Island Trail with a Guided Rental
We provide the Guide & Paddling Gear, You provide your own food & Camping Gear
A guided rental is a great option for experienced campers who want the expertise of a guide for an overnight sea kayak trip on the Maine coast. Guided rentals are more affordable than our regular guided trips, but we still provide all the paddling gear you need and a licensed Maine guide to help you navigate your course along the Maine Island Trail.
Even if you have lots of kayaking experience you're likely to find that the expertise of a local guide is invaluable. The thousands of islands along the coast of Maine and the hundreds of campsites allow for nearly infinite trip-planning possibilities. Your guide will help you choose the right campsite for your group based on the weather conditions, along with your interests and experience level. The presence of your guide also provides opportunities for you to develop and strengthen kayaking and trip-planning skills and to learn all about the local natural history and culture. Most importantly, having a guide along on your trip will ensure you have the safety gear, rescue skills and navigation abilities to safely navigate the dynamic sea conditions found along the Maine coast.
Trips of any length are possible for guided rentals. If you are interested in setting one up please fill out the form below or email us at email@example.com.
WHAT'S INCLUDED WITH A GUIDED RENTAL
- Sea kayaks. We have a wide range of solo and tandem kayaks. Most are made by Wilderness Systems or Necky Kayaks.
- Basic paddling gear (paddles, PFDs, sprayskirts)
- Drybags. We will give you at least one medium to large dry bag per person and a couple others for group gear.
- A licensed Maine guide with a deep knowledge of the area. Your guide will be equipped with a full range of safety and communication gear, including a VHF radio, navigation equipment, basic first aid supplies and sea kayaking rescue equipment. All of our guides have undergone a rigorous testing process to earn their Maine guide licenses.
- Nautical chart of the area and relevant guidebooks.
- Water for drinking & cooking. There's no freshwater on the islands, so we'll provide water bladders that you and your guide will pack in your boats.
- Waste management. We practice the principles of "Leave No Trace" on all our trips. On some islands this involves carrying off solid human waste. We will provide "Wag Bags," which are portable toilet systems. (You can also opt to stick to the island that have outhouses).
- Camping gear: We rent tents ($10/day), sleeping pads ($5/day), sleeping bags ($10/day) and cooking stoves ($10/day).
- Van transportation: We can drive you to or from any launch site in southern or mid-coast Maine. This opens up an enormous range of options for routes and destinations. One terrific route involves starting at our main site in Portland and paddling across Casco Bay to be picked up in Phippsburg or Harpswell.
- Boat transportation to anywhere within a few miles of Portland. We can use our small powerboat to transport gear and kayaks to the islands surrounding Portland harbor. This allows us to transport supplies for longer trips or transport kayaks so you can start or end your trip at a spot of your choosing.
What's not included with a guided rental
- Meals: You will provide your own food, cooking stove and cooking supplies.
- Camping gear: If you aren't able to provide your own tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad we rent these items (see above).
Guided Rental Inquiry Form
If you would like to inquire about setting up a guided rental please submit the below form or contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (207-370-9730).